Simple
What is simple?
Simple doesn’t happen
Not easily anyway
Not unless you try
Not until you confuse yourself first
Simple is irony
It holds a complexity within the word
Simple is difficult
Understanding the simplicity is difficult
Difficult is the opposite of simple
It isn't simple anymore
Simple shows you all the colors of the rainbow
Razdazzling
Putting a special sparkle in your life
People think its fairy dust
The word simple
So simple to spell
Yet it digs into your brain
Tying it into knots…yelling…
“WHY DON’T YOU GET THE WORD SIMPLE?? YOU SIMPLETON!”
And then maybe you’ll get the meaning of simple
Simple comes in a breakout of…
Pimples
Confusing to understand why they pop up
Confusing on how to find the cure for it
It makes you scratch your head to figure it out
Bringing on a snowfall of dandruff
Ohh!…isn't it so….simple?
Simple brings to mind…
A flock of math sums
Beating it wings at you
In your head…(or maybe your just hallucinating)
Confusing you
And then…
You see the answer to the sums
And then…
It is…Simple
-Rachel Ambrose
I have an annoying habit of playing with words, confusing myself and other people when I try to explain. This poem shows a good example of my habit, thinking far too deep into the word and confusion. In this poem it shows some thoughts I had about the word simple. The thoughts had been in my head since I was a young child. It would always resurface every time I went near a math sum. It is because every time I ask my dad for help on a math sum, he’ll say “It’s simple! Just do this” and then write out a whole page of complicated looking things for one ‘simple’ math sum. It terrified and confused me of course; I mean the page not my dad. I wouldn’t get anything my dad’s mass of scribbled writing on the page told me, and I guess it didn’t help that he’s an accountant. It confused me because according to my dad it was ‘simple,’ so “why don’t you get it?? You simpleton!” In my poem I also said that you would have to confuse yourself first before you got it, and the confusing-ness took shape in numerous pages of the same scribbled writing.
The poem has some uses of repetition, for example “Not easily anyway, not unless you try, not until you confuse yourself first.” It is true if you apply this to math sums, won’t get it until you repeatedly try again and again. I have also used a couple of metaphors (I think) like “snowfall of dandruff, a flock of math sums, simple comes in a breakout of pimples.” The pimples were annoying me so I decided to include it in my poem as the word simple sometimes annoy me too.
There is also the slight use of personification too like “Yet it digs into your brain, tying it into knots…yelling…”
=D hope you enjoy reading my ‘simple’ creation
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Rachel :0,
very gewd poem. so simple yet not-so-simple.
very colourful-ness, very good use of poetic techniques, like repetition - using "confuse" alot [obviously confusing me ):]. Great imagery-ness - "It makes you scratch your head to figure it out, Bringing on a snowfall of dandruff" and "A flock of math sums, beating its wings at you"
"You see the answer to the sums, and the... it is ... Simple"
reminds me of that car advertisement - "the good things in life seem simple after their created" [something like that..?]
Post a Comment